Thursday, July 2, 2015

No, Postman: Adventure 2: Phone Tag With Well-Meaning Imbeciles

My husband came home last night and I told him of my adventures in hiding from the weird post office guy, at which point he immediately looked up the number for the Post Office Complaint line, which he called and was hung up on twice before looking instead for the English call-center line, which he got through on and handed his phone to me.

I explained the situation to a woman with a Japanese-Australian accent, who said she would call the post office and attempt to figure out why the guy had come to my house. She then called back twice for details. Then she called back to say that the post office would investigate and call her back the next day (today) at which point she would call me.

So today, I answered the phone when a strange Japanese number appeared on the screen and was greeted by a completely different woman at the Shiogama Post Office, not the help line. She gave me 7 digits of a phone number, saying it was the help line, before making some "biting the lip" sounds and asking to continue in Japanese, which I didn't understand most of anyway.

I tried to explain that I had already called the help line, yesterday, so I already had the number. I said this in both languages. She said another sentence of things I don't understand.

Because at this time I was balancing my toddler and feeling guilty for taking a call while video chatting with my grandmother, I cut it short at this point. I said, in Japanese. "I am sorry. I am busy. So very sorry." and hung up. I then was so frustrated that I turned off my phone for fear that she would then try to call back.

Is this some girlfriend to a sex offender, trying to make sure he doesn't get in trouble for following a foreigner home by making the process for inquiry so difficult so as to be unmanageable? More likely, this is a coworker of an incompetent jerk who didn't find it strange to follow a woman home, ring her bell incessantly, knock on her door, and not just leave a damned note in her post box.

Now, I am going to eat something. then I am going to call the English help line back and tell them what happened today as well as recount the events of July 1.

Then maybe they will call Shiogama's post office and get a more direct answer than this unending pile of BS.

Oh wait, there's someone at the door.

Update:  In the time it took me to get to the intercom, it stopped ringing.

Update 2:  I called the call center, explained my situation, and was promised a call back, which I got with the surprising news that Shiogama finally called them and let them know the source of all this craziness-- I had labelled one of the packages as containing a toy, and they needed to know if it contained a battery.

Seriously. All that stress for "batteries not included."

Definitely not using that post office again for a while.

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, I just sent a watch to Canada and I got the whole teeth sucking bit about the battery too! I don't speak Japanese, the post office ladies don't speak English, but we managed! They also were worried that the person I sent the watch to would have to pay tax (import duty) on it, but that is kind of shoganai! I told my sister that she might have to pay in advance so at least I warned her.

    The watch made it safely, so all's well that ends well (with no tax), but I completely get how annoying and how upsetting one of the post office run-ins can be.

    PS...I just found you via the postcrossing tenth anniversary...I'm almost directly across the country from you :-)

    ReplyDelete