Sunday, January 12, 2014

Co-sleeping and Staying-at-home

I've been meaning to write a post of consequence and at some point that might happen, but for now I will fill the world of cyberspace with some of my favorite simplicities of my current way of life.

My favorite time of day is the short stretch of hours between my husband leaving for work and my needing to wake up because shortly after he leaves, the baby wakes up hungry. I take her into my bed, feed her, and then, snuggling together for warmth, we both pass out. It is wonderful.

When it comes to co-sleeping, I am fairly middle of the road about it. I don't think it works for everyone, but it apparently works for some. It is my belief that a light sleeper who doesn't mind not moving for hours on end can co-sleep with their infant as they choose. For people like my husband, loud-snoring toss-n-turners who can fall almost immediately into a deep sleep, this might not be the best idea. I've seen him sleep through the baby screaming less than a foot from him. Co-sleeping might be dangerous for him.

I think it also depends a lot on the age, personality, and sleeping habits of the baby. Mine can get to sleep on her own sometimes but would rather eat until she passed out. She's not the deepest sleeper but has little trouble letting me sleep in in the mornings. We can co-sleep occasionally for short intervals without me going crazy with worry, so that's what we do.

As with much of parenting, a lot of it seems to come down to whatever works for you.

In other news, we're gearing up for our trip to the states at the end of the month. I'm trying to make enough plans that I won't feel cheated when it's over and we're back in Japan for years on end.

Also, today I got a call from an associate of a friend of mine, offering me a teaching opportunity. Despite my dedication toward being a stay-at-home mom for the moment, the details of the class didn't seem awful. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss teaching and going to Sendai on a regular basis. It would be equally untrue to say that I didn't enjoy my time with my baby or to say that I wanted that to end soon. In my opinion, if I can stay-at-home and write while taking care of my baby until she's ready for kindergarten, I will have won.

It seems like that might take more determination than I was counting on. Considering the current economic climate for much of the world, I would feel like a jerk for not taking work that was offered to me. By the same measure, I already have a multifaceted, challenging job, albeit one I don't get a paycheck for. But this isn't the first person to ask when I'm coming back to teaching (not if) or if I would like to work with them when I do.

The offers are always flattering, even though the people offering usually haven't watched me teach, but if I'm not ready for it, then that is the bottom line.

 In any case, no decisions on this account will be settled until I'm back from the states. I just won't have the energy until then.

Time to run about and try to finish cleaning this messy house. I am better at being a mom than being a housewife. I'm actually fairly awful at housewifery.

Take care, cyberspace!

No comments:

Post a Comment