Monday, August 10, 2015

GISHWHES Round Up

GISHWHES was last week and it was awesome. A few things made this year significantly better than last year:

1. Our team was made up of friends or friends of friends, the last of whom was part of the team a month before the big event. Last year, I wasn't even registered until a few days before registration closed and our team was mostly fragments of other teams with just a couple of individual players.

2. Group GISHing. It's hard to be the only one in your physical area who is also doing GISH or on your GISH team. A lot of the items are better if done by a group. Some are impossible to do solo. This year I was blessed to have a couple of ladies in my vicinity for the first half of GISH, which we knocked a lot of items out, giving me time to work out some other items and do some I had originally considered impossible. Most of these could not have been done by myself. None of them could have been more fun.

3. Because our group was all well informed before the event started, we had prepared for certain snafus, such as one girl being unable to send any of her completed items in due to lack of internet after mid-week. We divided up what was left of hers and did our best. Some amazing stuff happened.

4. I pushed myself and did everything I could figure out how to do, and some that I didn't know how to do before last week.


Things I learned to be better about next year:

1. Include Julia more. She wants to be included. Once I got her into costume, she had a blast. More of this needs to happen for her.

2. Ensured internet access options for our members. I think this will be better resolved though because everyone involved will likely have been in their home-state for more than two weeks before GISHWHES (which was not the case this round)


All in all, it was a wonderful time. Lots of crazy antics were had. I have no idea what anyone else thinks, but I am thrilled with our outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment