Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Election Time

As I write this, it is Wednesday the ninth of November, and the presidential election results are coming in slowly. I get annoyed when started are declared and tallied with less than 50% of the data reported, but in the election, I feel very strongly that my opinion just does not matter.

I am a liberal Democrat from Texas, just like my mom. Or at least I used to be. I was a die-hard Berner and I still have reservations about how Hillary got the nomination. That said, I still voted for her.
A vote for Hillary is a vote for the status quo. The same level of corrupt political bullshit you're used to, now in female form and still at least trying to keep things running.
A vote for Trump is a vote for the apocalypse. A child rapist who would never have even become famous except for being born into a rich family and squandering millions upon millions lavishly and not well does not need to be in charge of the country.

He behaves like a toddler having a tantrum. He has all the manners and respect of an uncivilized 5 year old. And he rapes 13 year olds. Rapes them. His trial is next month.

Amanda Palmer recently wrote a tweet stating that the man should be pitied and while I admire her level of empathy, I cannot follow suit. I cannot pity a rapist. I cannot have sympathy or empathy for a child rapist. This is not a person worthy of out time, much less our vote. Yet billions are voting for him.

On the up side, in the economic ruin following a trump presidency, my student loans will likely have significantly less overall value.
The only problem is a lot of global economies are tied into America not being an impoverished wasteland, but electing a man who declares bankruptcy so often to the highest office in the land is not going to lead us in any other direction. This is what I truly believe.

I don’t want to see this happen. There are too many people I still love and care about in the country of my birth. I have never in my lifetime been more ashamed of being a Southerner due to a current political event.
At the same time, despite all the weirdness of Japan, I am more happy than ever to be on the other side of the world from whatever political upheaval may follow.

So if you’re looking to escape to Japan, look me up and ask me about it. I did it before it was cool. Hah. Yeah, not really. I did it after it was hugely financially positive, but before it was necessary to avoid getting shot.

Stay peaceful, people. Stay alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment