Saturday, May 7, 2016

Tonight's Adventure

Today was Saturday, which is usually a little busy. The day began with me barely getting enough sleep, then dragging myself and my daughter into clothes for the day, meeting up with my in-laws, handing off my toddler, and walking in to work, where I found out that my class had been cancelled last minute, but my boss opted to pay me for the time provided that I did some writing to help with materials for older kids, which is pretty awesome.

I used voice-to-text to write the first draft in 3 emails that I will hash together a little later. I am happy with the story overall, but I'm even happier about having the chance to write it-- like those things I have been doing since I came to this country are actually profitable.

I then went back to work. When I came home for my short weekly segment of "me-time" that had been cancelled last week due to national holidays (if I'm not teaching, no one is picking up the kid), I managed to put together sloth-mail while watching House of Cards (almost done with this season) instead of cleaning the shower room like I was supposed to.

After Julia came home, I got her to chill out while I finished folding and putting away the laundry. When nap-time was definitely upon us, I finally worked my way into the shower room, spraying a bunch of chemical cleaner at anything I thought looked suspicious.

5 years ago, we moved in here, and I really wish they had provided me with a list of expected house-wifey BS before I said yes, that I wanted us to pay a lot of money to live in such a fancy little place.

Like maybe if they had explained that I would be expected to dismantle the shower drainage system to clean it on a regular basis, to the point of removing the front facing of the tub and scrubbing within, maybe then I would have known the extent of how screwed I would be as a non-Japanese non-house-wife. I could list the ways in which I fail at this all day, but I digress.

Today I discovered a level of gross-ness hitherto unseen as a chunk of gunk the size of an adult human ear came out of the half-dismantled under-facet weirdness I was trying to clean.
Thankfully I was listening to ACDC (if it works for tsunami wreckage, it'll work for shower gunk), and kept going, but thinking about it still makes me feel a little nauseated.

The light bulb had flickered a bit, but I didn't think much of it because it came back on. I made a mental note to tell my husband to pick up some light bulbs, since I assumed he knew which ones we needed and that they were special/difficult to recognize.

I finished what I could in the shower-room, put everything back together, and came back to wake Julia up from her nap. We watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and its sequel while I boiled some alphabet-pasta and made chicken nuggets Julia still had yet to touch.

Then Julia ran over to hug me, which would have been sweet had she not been soaked in urine.

I pulled her clothes off as I raced us to the shower room, only to find the room dark, the light bulb finally really dead. Our shower room is not set up in such a way that outside light is an option, and showering with a toddler in the dark sounds pretty awful. To my surprise, the bulb was a totally normal 60 watt bulb, the same kind I bought and changed in Texas. Checking the time (just before 8) I changed Julia's clothes, grabbed a jacket, and got us out the door just in time to find the home improvement store closed for the night (apparently they close at 8, not 8:05) so we re-routed to The Big (groceries, etc.) where I couldn't figure out which of the 60 W options to get, so Julia grabbed one and ran off. Then we picked up half-priced sushi for the husband but Julia had to choose a thing, and I agreed to buy whatever she wanted to long as we could go home...and she picked up a liter of milk.
Sure, okay, whatever kid. Shoot for the moon why don't you.

So there we are, in the checkout.


Fancy Times, yo.
We got home safe and sound, waited out the husband (who just got home) and now I am more than ready to take a damn nap.

But instead I'll put more dinner together and get us cleaned up for bed.

Yay, end of day!

No comments:

Post a Comment